A large dark antelope with a long head, a beard and mane, and a sloping back. Also called wildebeest.
- Genus Connochaetes, family Bovidae: two species, in particular the abundant brindled gnu or blue wildebeest (C. taurinus)
More example sentences
- In eastern Africa, they mostly hunt Thomson's gazelles, but they will also attack calves, warthogs, zebras, impalas, and the young of large antelopes such as the gnu.
- Every February, give or take a couple of weeks, more than a million wildebeest, or gnus, gather in the south-eastern quadrant of their quasi-circular migration route.
- With his travelling companions he stood on a hill looking down on the savannah stretching to the far horizon, gigantic herds of gazelle, antelope, gnu, zebra, and warthog grazing and moving forwards like slow rivers.
late 18th century: from Khoikhoi and San, perhaps imitative of the sound made by the animal when alarmed.
Definition of gnu in:
- The US English dictionary