Definition of goalpost in English:
Either of the two upright posts of a goal.
- The distance between the goals and the goalposts shall be decided upon by the Captains of the sides playing.
- It flew at an alarming rate towards the goal, hit the goalpost, and rebounded off it straight back at me.
- The same player rocked Carlow with a thunderous shot off the goalpost for a spectacular goal to put Port ahead for the first time after 12 minutes.
- move the goalposts (US also move the goalpost)
- Unfairly alter the conditions or rules of a procedure during its course.Example sentences
- Changing the rules is one thing, moving the goalposts after a shot has been taken is quite another.
- Proving that ID isn't science is useful, and I think even necessary, but it does not preclude the creationists from moving the goalposts, as they are already trying to do in Dover.
- They immediately started moving the goalposts.
Definition of goalpost in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.