- 1A male godparent: he is godfather to her sonMore example sentences
- You can name just one godparent, or two godmothers or godfathers.
- He went on, explaining how he is the godfather to his dead friend's children, and how he was worrying about them.
- He was my best friend and I was the godfather to his kids and he was the godfather to my kids and we did things together on the road and off the road.
- 2A man who is influential or pioneering in a movement or organization: the godfather of alternative comedyMore example sentences
- Irwin Schiff, the godfather of the movement, is insistent that you shouldn't just take his word for anything: You should check the statutes.
- And then there's Kraftwerk, godfathers of the movement.
- Kenneth Koch is the godfather of a literary movement, called in the good old days of funding for arts, Poets-in-the-Schools.
- 2.1A person directing a criminal organization, especially a leader of the American Mafia: the Mafia godfather believed to be behind the murder of two judgesMore example sentences
- That's why mafia godfathers and titans of business don't mind eating with their most trusted lieutenants in otherwise empty restaurants.
- The export of mafia capital on this scale produces far more difficulties for the Russian economy than the activities of the Colombian drugs barons or the Italian Mafia godfathers, who at least invest some of their ill-gotten gains at home.
- He knows the exercise of arbitrary power by studio heads, easily comparable to Mafia godfathers.
More definitions of godfatherDefinition of godfather in:
- The US English dictionary