A large, long-legged wader with a long, slightly upturned or straight bill, and typically a reddish-brown head and breast in the breeding male.
- Genus Limosa, family Scolopacidae: four species
More example sentences
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.
- Many immature avocets spend their first summer after fledging well south of breeding areas, as do immature grey plovers, bar-tailed godwits and knot.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of godwit in:
- The US English dictionary