1A thin layer of gold, electroplated or otherwise applied as a coating to another metal.
- Fans both young and old stood in awe at the trophy, which stands some three feet high and is made of 23-carat sterling silver, gold plate and the precious green stone malachite.
- On the left side of the frame is the Thunder Ranch logo in gold plate.
1.1Plates, dishes, or other objects made of or plated with gold.
- Mrs. Brawnings readily put down a wad of cash onto the little gold plate and led the way out to the car park.
verb(gold-plate) [with object]
Cover (something) with a thin layer of gold.
- The work of preparing the copper rings (some renewal of the old, some new) around the wooden mast and gold-plating them is going on.
- The electroplating guys had gold-plated it to Aldo Nova's specifications.
- In a system like this, it is unlikely that the gold-plating the connectors makes any difference at all, in terms of sound, durability, or otherwise, yet MidiLand does it anyway, which makes it all the more impressive.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gold plate
Definition of gold plate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.