- A rapid movement of people to a newly discovered goldfield. The first major gold rush, to California in 1848, was followed by others in the US, Australia (1851-3), South Africa (1884), and Canada (Klondike, 1897-8).More example sentences
- The discovery of place gold set off the California gold rush of 1849 and the rush to the Klondike in 1897.
- The California gold rush prompted a frenzied mass movement of people toward the Sierra Nevada.
- It was the age of the gold rush from the Klondike to Australia.
More definitions of gold rushDefinition of gold rush in:
- The US English dictionary