- 1The system, abandoned in the Depression of the 1930s, by which the value of a currency was defined in terms of gold, for which the currency could be exchanged.More example sentences
- The classic gold standard was a monetary regime constructed to preserve financial and economic stability.
- National currencies based on the gold standard were thought to be uniform, leading toward a global monetary standard.
- The British thereby laid the basis for what was to become the world monetary system based on the gold standard and bank notes.
- 1.1A thing of superior quality which serves as a point of reference against which other things of its type may be compared: breast milk provides the gold standard by which infant feeds are measuredMore example sentences
- This type of process may then be used as best practice, serving as a gold standard to be implemented in other facilities.
- Once upon a time, Disney provided the gold standard in family entertainment, from animated fairytales to Mary Poppins.
- Despite their intriguing objectivity and precision, billing records do not provide a gold standard.
More definitions of gold standardDefinition of gold standard in:
- The US English dictionary