1(In the Bible) an image of gold in the shape of a calf, made by Aaron in response to the Israelites‘ plea for a god while they awaited Moses’ return from Mount Sinai, where he was receiving the Ten Commandments (Exod. 32).
- While Moses was on Mount Sinai for 40 days receiving the laws for Israel, the Israelites persuaded Aaron to make a golden calf, and they worshipped it.
- In despair, the people turned to Aaron to build them a golden calf.
- On their journey to the promised land, Aaron and the children of Israel craft a golden calf and worship it, crediting it with their rescue from Egypt.
1.1An unworthy or inappropriate object of worship, typically wealth: we were led astray by the seductions of the golden calf
More example sentences
- Listen: they want us to feel impotent, to worship the golden calf of commercialism, dazzled and opiated by its pale buzzing glow.
- As one trained in the biological sciences, I find the willingness of theologians to bow down to the modern golden calf of ‘science’ somewhat perplexing.
- As Sartre admitted in his eulogy, ‘He reaffirmed the existence of moral fact within the heart of our era against the Machiavellians, against the golden calf of realism.’
Definition of golden calf in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.