noun (plural same or goldfishes)
A small reddish-golden Eurasian carp, popular in ponds and aquaria. A long history of breeding in China and Japan has resulted in many varieties of form and colour.
- Carassius auratus, family Cyprinidae
More example sentences
- The boys used a net to lift the fish from the mud and took it to their mum, a keen fish keeper who already owns guppies, minnows and a goldfish.
- If you are going away for a couple of weeks and are worried about who will feed the goldfish in the garden pond, don't worry.
- The heron resumed his beady-eyed stance, scanning the depths of the pond for an unwary goldfish.
Definition of goldfish in:
- The US English dictionary