Definition of goldwork in English:
Gold objects collectively.
- Duke Albrecht V was a magnificent collector of books, coins, and goldwork, acquiring the collections of Hans Fugger and building the Antiquarium at the Munich Residenz to display his antiquities.
- According to Smith's obituary in the Liverpool Mercury, on 26 February 1892, Ruskin admired his work and is reported to have written to him that: ‘It seems to me, your taste and skill are able to accomplish as good goldwork as was ever done’.
- goldworking noun
- Example sentences
- The Ghanaian interior is rich in its deposits, and goldworking was already a well-honed art when Portuguese traders first anchored off Ghana's rocky coast in the late 1400s.
- According to the Aztecs, these Toltecs were held to be the inventors of all artistry, from writing to goldworking to medicine, and the very word ‘Toltec’ meant artist or craftsman.
- Throughout this vast region, from about AD 700 until the 16th-century Spanish invasion, a rich and varied tradition of goldworking was practiced.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.