- A man was playing a game of golf, and on hole 16, he hit the ball right into a field of buttercups.
- Another choice is a game of golf at either of the two nearby 18-hole courses.
- You'll be able to watch live premiership games, basketball, golf, cricket, and all sorts.
A golf course usually has 18 holes, each set in a smooth lawn (a green) separated from the others by stretches of smooth grass (fairways), rough ground, sand-filled bunkers, and other hazards. Various clubs are used to hit the ball from a tee towards the green, up to 450 m away, and then putt it into the hole
verb[no object] (often as noun golfing) Back to top
- The idea behind pasture golf is golfing without all the pomp and circumstance.
- The aim of the championship golf tournament is to promote youth golfing in the region.
- He's pretty healthy, golfing almost every day, hanging out with his friends at night.
late Middle English (originally Scots): perhaps related to Dutch kolf 'club, bat', used as a term in several Dutch games; golf, however, is recorded before these games.