Definition of golf club in English:
1A club used to hit the ball in golf, with a heavy wooden or metal head on a slender shaft.
- ‘Anything that involves a golf club and hitting a ball, I'll pretty much play it anywhere,’ he said.
- When you change channels it makes a sound like a golf club hitting a ball.
- This is due to the high velocity and size of the golf ball and golf club.
2An organization of members for playing golf.
- Opened in June 1999, Spring Hill is a private golf club with just 185 members.
- Fifty members of the golf club, including four women, participated in the tournament, with a strong turnout of spectators from the two chambers.
- The average lady member of a Scottish golf club is aged between 55 and 64, and has a less-than-stunning handicap of 25.
2.1The premises used by members of a golf club.
- Coleman interrupted to ask what the architect's plans for that evening were, to which the puzzled employee answered that after returning to Bearsden for dinner he would go out to the golf club or pub.
- After playing a round of golf we settled into the bar at the golf club.
- Lunch can be taken informally at the golf club (barbecue in summer) or as a traditional buffet in the Castle.
Definition of golf club in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia