nounPhysiology & Zoology
1An organ that produces gametes; a testis or ovary.
More example sentences
- It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.
- Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.
- To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.
late 19th century: from modern Latin gonades, plural of gonas, from Greek gonē 'generation, seed'.
- More example sentences
- Females develop an extrusion of the gonadal papilla and a distended abdomen when gravid.
- For example, gonadotropins that are produced by the hypothalamic-pituitary gland stimulate secretion of gonadal steroids.
- Nutrition, exercise, gonadal steroids, and growth hormone and body composition all play a role in bone density.
Definition of gonad in:
- The US English dictionary