Definition of gonad in English:
1 Physiology & Zoology An organ that produces gametes; a testis or ovary.
- It is known as a gonadotrophic hormone as it affects the gonads (testes and ovaries) in mammals.
- Whether the gonads become ovaries or testes is determined by the chromosomes received from the parents at the time of conception.
- To compensate, internal organs such as the gizzard, gonads, and intestine may shrink.
- Example sentences
- Females develop an extrusion of the gonadal papilla and a distended abdomen when gravid.
- For example, gonadotropins that are produced by the hypothalamic-pituitary gland stimulate secretion of gonadal steroids.
- Nutrition, exercise, gonadal steroids, and growth hormone and body composition all play a role in bone density.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin gonades, plural of gonas, from Greek gonē 'generation, seed'.
Definition of gonad in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.