Definition of gondola in English:
1A light flat-bottomed boat used on Venetian canals, having a high point at each end and worked by one oar at the stern.
- Successive displays chronicle the Greek trireme, perhaps the ultimate statement of rowing power, the Venetian gondola, the Thames wherry, wooden-hulled lifeboats and arctic whaleboats.
- I've never been to Tuscany, haven't floated down a canal in a Venetian gondola, nor thrown a coin into the Trevi Fountain.
- Sightseers will be able to hire boats, resembling Venetian gondolas, to take trips on the canal.
2The seating compartment in a ski lift.
- It started in a vague dream of getting off the ski-lift gondola at a mountain ski lodge, and stepping out on the metal grate.
- It is also established as the best place in the world to go mountain biking, largely because it has the longest vertical descent in North America, and because all the gondolas and ski lifts can also take bikes.
- History fans will appreciate the vintage ski clothing and attire as well as some of the actual chairs and early gondolas and other devices used in the first ski lifts.
2.1An enclosed compartment suspended from an airship or balloon.
- They have built gondolas for airships, flight simulators and floating offices, but Jim's boat posed a real challenge.
- As they are clambering up the ropes hanging from the gondola, the balloon abruptly takes off again, leaving the men dangling.
- In 1960, Air Force test pilot Joseph W. Kittinger Jr. stepped out of a balloon gondola at 102,800 feet and set the record for the world's highest skydive.
3 (also gondola car) North American An open railway freight wagon.
- The common gondola car is a freight car with low sides and ends, a solid floor, and no roof.
- Among items sold were box cars, flat cars and side-dump gondola cars.
- The TLC will handle lumber, steel, aluminum and food products, and is designed to load and unload all types of railcars from centerbeams to boxcars and gondolas.
mid 16th century: from Venetian Italian, from Rhaeto-Romance gondolà 'to rock, roll'.
Words that rhyme with gondolafondler
Definition of gondola in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan