An ammonoid fossil of an early type found chiefly in the Devonian and Carboniferous periods, typically with simple angular suture lines. Compare with ammonite and ceratite.
- Typified by the genus Goniatites, order Goniatitida
More example sentences
- Early ammonoids or goniatites may have simple zig-zag sutures, but they become increasingly complex from the Triassic to the Cretaceous.
- The taxonomically diverse goniatites dominated the Carboniferous-Permian ammonoid fauna.
- Carboniferous goniatites as a group appear to be relatively cosmopolitan.
Definition of goniatite in:
- The US English dictionary