- An ammonoid fossil of an early type found chiefly in the Devonian and Carboniferous periods, typically with simple angular suture lines. Compare with ammonite and ceratite.
More example sentences
- Typified by the genus Goniatites, order Goniatitida
- Early ammonoids or goniatites may have simple zig-zag sutures, but they become increasingly complex from the Triassic to the Cretaceous.
- The taxonomically diverse goniatites dominated the Carboniferous-Permian ammonoid fauna.
- Carboniferous goniatites as a group appear to be relatively cosmopolitan.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Goniatites, from Greek gōnia 'angle'.
More definitions of goniatiteDefinition of goniatite in:
- The US English dictionary