- An African shrike (songbird) with a mainly black back and red underparts.
More example sentences
- Genus Laniarius, family Laniidae: three species, in particular the common gonolek (L. barbarus)
- In the marshes, keep an eye out for the papyrus gonolek and the often sought-after shoebill stork.
- Some shrikes, including the puffbacks, like to live in the tops of high trees in suburban gardens, whereas gonoleks and boubous prefer to look for prey near the ground in thick vegetation and scrub.
- Among the 568 bird species are papyrus and black-headed gonoleks, lowland akalat, swamp flycatcher and black bee-eater.