Definition of gopher snake in English:
1A large harmless yellowish-cream snake with darker markings, native to western North America.
- Pituophis catenifer, family Colubridae
- The poles of the Earth are not plumb either, just like the chalk stars in constellation over a gopher snake.
- The next a big gopher snake, fat with spring voles, suns itself on the mown grass.
- In Paradise Valley we found such a place where we could exchange the unctuous reptiles of Hollywood for far less pretentious alligator lizards and gopher snakes.
1.1 (also blue gopher snake) another term for indigo snake.
- In the wild it often inhabits gopher burrows, hence the common names gopher snake or blue gopher snake.
- Because it seeks refuge in gopher tortoise burrows, along with diamondback rattlesnakes and many other organisms, in some parts of Florida the indigo is called the 'gopher snake'.
Definition of gopher snake in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India