- However, the overall intent and effect of the play was one of a happy lark through the Gordian knot of contemporary socio-political problems and out to a happy ending.
- It's just that sometimes when the red cloud descends, the instantaneous, irrevocable solution is irresistibly appealing, as Alexander the Great proved by hacking through the Gordian knot.
- Life conditions and life strategies are as tightly entwined as the Gordian knot.
cut the Gordian knot
- Solve or remove a problem in a direct or forceful way, rejecting gentler or more indirect methods: Kirk may cut the Gordian knot by booting me outMore example sentences
- I'm trying to devise some kind of way by which we can cut the Gordian knot… without going through the bureaucracy.
- So why not end this piecemeal approach - and cut the Gordian knot by granting citizenship to all Japan-born Koreans?
- We haven't been particularly skilled at that, and perhaps no foreign sword could cut the Gordian knot of an old, stubborn culture.
Mid 16th century: from the legend that Gordius, king of Gordium, tied an intricate knot and prophesied that whoever untied it would become the ruler of Asia. It was cut through with a sword by Alexander the Great.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Gor|dian knot
Definition of Gordian knot in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.