Definition of gorgeous in English:
1Beautiful; very attractive: gorgeous colours and exquisite decoration
More example sentences
- You could say that I can see the appeal, the attraction of, a gorgeous pair of heels.
- He gave me a cut that's easy to maintain and he did the colour, which is gorgeous.
- A gorgeous deep golden colour on the flanks blends with a dark green tinge to the back.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistible;
sexy, sexually attractive, sexual, seductive, alluring, tantalizing, ravishing, desirable, sultry, sensuous, sensual, erotic, arousing, luscious, lush, nubile;
Scottish & Northern English bonny
informal fanciable, beddable, tasty, studly, hot, smashing, knockout, out of this world, easy on the eye, come-hither, come-to-bed
British informal fit
Australian/New Zealand informal spunky
spectacular, splendid, superb, wonderful, grand, impressive, awe-inspiring, awesome, astounding, astonishing, amazing, stunning, breathtaking, stupendous, incredible
informal sensational, out of this world, fabulous, fantastic
resplendent, magnificent, stately, imposing, sumptuous, luxurious, elegant, opulent, dazzling, brilliant, glittering
1.1 informal Very pleasant or enjoyable: the weather was gorgeous
More example sentences
- Not just sunny, but really really warm, like summer warm which was gorgeous.
- The surface was slightly choppy but otherwise it was a gorgeous English summer's day.
- I'd just run a gorgeous bath with bubbles galore, hot water and a divine smell from the bath soak.
excellent, marvellous, superb, very good, first-rate, first-class, wonderful, delightful, outstanding, exceptional, magnificent, splendid, superlative, matchless, peerless
informal super, great, glorious, terrific, tremendous, smashing, fantastic, sensational, fabulous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, ace, fab, A1, cool, awesome, magic, wicked, tip-top, top-notch, out of sight, out of this world, way-out, capital
Australian/New Zealand informal bonzer
- Example sentences
- The pageantry of Indian life appealed powerfully to the artist, and he rendered it with all his inherent splendor and gorgeousness.
- All this flurry of fanciness raised our expectations for an exciting night of visual gorgeousness, or as the programme stated, ‘an impure smorgasbord of late night performance!’
- And I felt a bit wobbly throughout, recognising the gorgeousness of all our funny, fabulous, vigorous locals.
Late 15th century (describing sumptuous clothing): from Old French gorgias 'fine, elegant', of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with gorgeousumbrageous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.