noun (plural gorgoneia /-ˈnʌɪə/)
- A representation of a gorgon’s head.More example sentences
- The first two are images of Hadrian and a detail of the gorgoneion, the third is of Septimus Severus.
- She is carrying her aegis as a shield, and you can clearly see the gorgoneion at the centre.
- Contained within a circle, the gorgoneion was the central motif of an ornamental composition of confronting dolphins.
Greek, neuter of gorgoneios 'of or relating to a gorgon' (see gorgon).
More definitions of gorgoneionDefinition of gorgoneion in:
- The US English dictionary