- Gorilla gorilla, family Pongidae: three races (two lowland gorillas and the mountain gorilla).
- One of the most endangered species in the world and the largest living primate, the lowland gorilla originates from the tropical rain forests of equatorial Africa, particularly the Congo and Cameroon.
- These include the Sumatran orangutan of Indonesia, the mountain gorilla of Africa, and northern muriqui of Brazil.
- Mayor just returned from tracking the western lowland gorilla in Central African Republic, the subject of an EXPLORER program that will premiere early next year.
- Anyone who tries confronts Gemstar-TV Guide, the undisputed gorilla of the IPG space.
- That company was definitely the 800-pound gorilla in the industry.
- Ford, on the other hand, is the proverbial 800-pound gorilla, says Hazel.
From an alleged African word for a wild or hairy person, found in the Greek account of the voyage of the Carthaginian explorer Hanno in the 5th or 6th century bc; adopted in 1847 as the specific name of the ape.
In the 5th or 6th centuries bc the Carthaginian explorer Hanno wrote an account of his voyage along the northwest coast of Africa. In the Greek translation of Hanno's account there appears a supposedly African word gorillai, the name of a wild or hairy people. This was adopted in 1847 by the US missionary Thomas Savage as the name of the large ape. See also guerrilla
Words that rhyme with gorillaAnguilla, Aquila, Attila, Camilla, cedilla, chiller, chinchilla, driller, Drusilla, fibrillar, filler, flotilla, fulfiller, Godzilla, griller, guerrilla, killer, Manila, manilla, mantilla, miller, pillar, Priscilla, sapodilla, sarsaparilla, Schiller, scilla, scintilla, spiller, swiller, thriller, tiller, vanilla, vexilla, villa, Willa, willer, zorilla
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gor|illa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.