Definition of gorse in English:
A yellow-flowered shrub of the pea family, the leaves of which are modified to form spines, native to western Europe and North Africa: sheep graze on undulating green hills blooming with yellow gorse [as modifier]: on the 11th hole his drive ended up in a gorse bush
- Genus Ulex, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular the common European U. europaeus, which grows widely in heathy places
More example sentences
- There was a little colour in the yellow gorse and the silver birch.
- Elsewhere, dozens of residents had to be evacuated in Gwent, Wales, where hundreds of mature trees, bracken, gorse and shrubs were destroyed.
- Thousands of saplings were planted and native gorse was established to create wildlife habitats.
- Example sentences
- Brushwood Hill is the high, gorsy knoll of gravel against which Chester farmhouse is built.
- Where Lowell lived, this consisted of low-lying conifers, alders, and gorsy thicket.
- The walk along the track is firstly through gorsy terrain, then it becomes easier (long pants are a good idea).
Words that rhyme with gorsecoarse, corse, course, divorce, endorse (US indorse), enforce, force, hoarse, horse, morse, Norse, perforce, reinforce, sauce, source, torse
Definition of gorse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.