Definition of gory in English:
adjective (gorier, goriest)
1Involving or showing violence and bloodshed: a gory horror film
More example sentences
- These days, to impress anyone at all, a heist film requires either heaps of brutal, gory violence or a really clever plot.
- Moore, however, has not filled this film with scenes of gory violence.
- There's not more than a couple of really gory and violent moments that, of course, Brian does very well.
ghastly, frightful, horrid, horrifying, fearful, hideous, macabre, spine-chilling, horrible, horrendous, grim, awful, dire, dreadful, terrible, horrific;
disgusting, repulsive, repugnant, revolting, repellent, sickening, distressing, shocking, appalling, abominable, loathsome, abhorrent, odious, monstrous, unspeakable
1.1Covered in blood.
- I have this big fear of being all rank and sweaty in that hospital bed, all gory and blooded up down below like some kind of murder scene.
- People think that nursing isn't for the faint of heart because of the blood and other gory things.
- Each of the wounds were gory holes of half-clotted blood, tufts of fur, and the white substance of fat.
the gory details
- humorous The explicit details of something: she told him the gory details of her pastMore example sentences
- He has no impressions to share, which makes an Israeli journalist like me feel immediately at a loss - if the shopkeepers are not going to give you all the gory details plus a political analysis, then who will?
- However, since the arrival of the weekend has brought with it a bout of illness - feverish and throwing up, if you want the gory details - I'm guessing that this might be having an effect on my musical appreciation.
- Anway, I won't go into the gory details, but lets just say I didn't get much sleep, and I think I might have eaten something not so good.
- Example sentences
- For much of the past 200 years, this former British penal colony has been a dumping ground for a nation's bad conscience about itself, and known gorily as a ‘hell on earth’.
- The screams of tormented toddlers rang out yesterday, as she droned gorily to a close.
- His ‘punk opera,’ on the other hand, is based on a real-life near-death experience brought about by a perineal abscess, and crammed with a surfeit of gorily realistic details.
- Example sentences
- This 60-year-old B-grade horror classic harks back to an era when the power to scare came by implication rather than gruesome goriness.
- By Golly if the dead were rising from their graves and walking into town in all their goriness it would have been all around the Middle East by teatime.
- While some simply can't stomach this, others positively revel in the goriness of it all.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan