adjective (gorier, goriest)
1Involving or showing violence and bloodshed: a gory horror film
More example sentences
- These days, to impress anyone at all, a heist film requires either heaps of brutal, gory violence or a really clever plot.
- Moore, however, has not filled this film with scenes of gory violence.
- There's not more than a couple of really gory and violent moments that, of course, Brian does very well.
ghastly, frightful, horrid, horrifying, fearful, hideous, macabre, spine-chilling, horrible, horrendous, grim, awful, dire, dreadful, terrible, horrific;
disgusting, repulsive, repugnant, revolting, repellent, sickening, distressing, shocking, appalling, abominable, loathsome, abhorrent, odious, monstrous, unspeakable
1.1Covered in blood.
- I have this big fear of being all rank and sweaty in that hospital bed, all gory and blooded up down below like some kind of murder scene.
- People think that nursing isn't for the faint of heart because of the blood and other gory things.
- Each of the wounds were gory holes of half-clotted blood, tufts of fur, and the white substance of fat.
the gory details
- humorous The explicit details of something: she told him the gory details of her pastMore example sentences
- He has no impressions to share, which makes an Israeli journalist like me feel immediately at a loss - if the shopkeepers are not going to give you all the gory details plus a political analysis, then who will?
- However, since the arrival of the weekend has brought with it a bout of illness - feverish and throwing up, if you want the gory details - I'm guessing that this might be having an effect on my musical appreciation.
- Anway, I won't go into the gory details, but lets just say I didn't get much sleep, and I think I might have eaten something not so good.
- Example sentences
- For much of the past 200 years, this former British penal colony has been a dumping ground for a nation's bad conscience about itself, and known gorily as a ‘hell on earth’.
- The screams of tormented toddlers rang out yesterday, as she droned gorily to a close.
- His ‘punk opera,’ on the other hand, is based on a real-life near-death experience brought about by a perineal abscess, and crammed with a surfeit of gorily realistic details.
- Example sentences
- This 60-year-old B-grade horror classic harks back to an era when the power to scare came by implication rather than gruesome goriness.
- By Golly if the dead were rising from their graves and walking into town in all their goriness it would have been all around the Middle East by teatime.
- While some simply can't stomach this, others positively revel in the goriness of it all.
Words that rhyme with gorycacciatore, Corey, dory, Florey, flory, furore, glory, hoary, hunky-dory, lory, Maury, monsignori, Montessori, multistorey, Pori, Rory, satori, saury, storey, story, Tory, vainglory
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.