noun (plural same or gouramis)
A small brightly coloured Asian labyrinth fish, popular in aquaria.
- Belontiidae and related families: several species
More example sentences
- We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.
- If you want a somewhat larger Gourami in your aquarium, the Moonlight Gourami is a good option.
- Blue Gouramis are among those fish who possess a labyrinth organ, which allows them to breath air directly.
late 19th century: from Malay gurami.
Definition of gourami in:
- The US English dictionary