Definition of gourd in English:
1A fleshy, typically large fruit with a hard skin, some varieties of which are edible.
- Modern Hopi farmers still use the old methods, raising mainly corn, melons, gourds, and many varieties of beans.
- The gourds or fruits, which are about 5 cm long, yellowish-white, and prickled on the upper part, are cooked as a vegetable, notably in Peru.
- It is eaten with vegetables such as onion, garlic, eggplant, and a variety of gourds according to the season.
1.1A drinking or water container made from the hollowed and dried skin of a gourd.
- The only thing they seem to do more then butchering animals in Uruguay, is drink Mate, a sort of super strong version of green tea that is drunk from a gourd through a silver straw.
- Ancient historical documents describe the use of crude containers, such as gourds, leaves, shells, animal skins, and even human skulls.
- She saw other people further down the river, taking drinks or filling gourds.
2A climbing or trailing plant which bears gourds.
- Family Cucurbitaceae (the gourd family): several genera and species, including the coloured ornamental gourds (Cucurbita pepo variety ovifera). The gourd family also includes the marrows, squashes, pumpkins, melons, and cucumbers
- This is connected to a large bamboo teepee with pole beans, gourds and other climbing plants covering it.
- Sometimes pumpkins or gourds are planted instead of squash.
- Other unusual plants include bottle gourds whose beautiful ornamental shapes were used for hundreds of years by native Americans to carry and store water.
- 1out of one's gourd North American informal
- Out of one’s mind; crazy.Example sentences
- Their insights have no depth or interest and non-fanatics (like yours truly) will be bored out of their gourds.
- Maybe it was the toxic fumes of all the lead paint, but cartoon creators were obviously out of their gourd.
- Conventional wisdom holds that people like you are out of your gourd.
- 1.1Under the influence of alcohol or drugs.Example sentences
- Of course I was stoned out of my gourd at the time… yep that was the one.
- I cannot understand how anyone could drink an entire bottle of Robitussin for fun, because I've taken about a teaspoon too much and am now so stoned out of my gourd that I can barely function.
- And it was so refreshing that this guy, who was out of his gourd by eight o'clock at night, was listening to the music and paying attention and thinking about it.
- 1gourdful noun (plural gourdfuls)
- Example sentences
- I guarantee SAT scores would soar if high schoolers knew their academic efforts would be celebrated with a gourdful of mountain-brewed beer.
- A bowlful of rice to eat, a gourdful of water to drink, and living in a mean dwelling; all this is hardship others would find intolerable.
- A gourdful of the drink is taken upon rising in the early morning, and no food is eaten until 10 or 11 o'clock.
Words that rhyme with gourdLourdes, self-assured, uncured, uninsured, unobscured, unsecured
Definition of gourd in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.