Definition of gourmet in English:
1A connoisseur of good food; a person with a discerning palate.
- Now gourmets can treat their palates to real Turkish food.
- From September 1 to October 31, a German Food Festival offers gourmets the opportunity to enjoy typical German cuisine in a festive atmosphere reminiscent of the region.
- The three-day food fiesta provided the gourmets the opportunity to savour cuisines from various corners of the country and abroad.
1.1 [as modifier] Of a kind or standard suitable for a gourmet: a gourmet meal
More example sentences
- But take the train from Dublin to Cork and you can enjoy gourmet meals and a trolley service etc.
- Today wild rice with its nutty flavour and chewy texture is considered a delicacy, often served as part of gourmet meals.
- Our cook Rona somehow conjures up gourmet meals from a galley no bigger than a telephone box.
Early 19th century: French, originally meaning 'wine taster', influenced by gourmand.
Words that rhyme with gourmetentremets
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.