Definition of gout in English:
- The juice of the nettle is good, she says, for a variety of ailments - arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, allergic rashes and prickly heat.
- Recent studies have revealed that cherries offer an assortment of health benefits including the ability to offer natural relief from joint pain caused from gout, arthritis and joint inflammation.
- He has a history of arthritis, gout, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Initially mistaken for dry ice by revellers, the gouts of smoke were ignored until the roaring fireball was actually consuming the building, liquefying its flammable décor into a rainstorm of molten lava.
- All were watching, with eager anticipation, the replica of George Stephenson's Rocket, which crouched on the rails behind the museum emitting gouts of steam.
- These additional branches then give off really satisfying gouts of white smoke as the greenery boils and burns.
- Example sentences
- Terry's gouty ankle had grown to the size of a small planet, and he slept out in the open air at the back of the truck, stretched out on a long toolbox, his leg hoisted higher than the rest of him and pointing at the stars.
- If so, you might be experiencing an acute attack of gout - or gouty arthritis - a form of arthritis that's characterized by sudden, severe attacks of pain, redness and tenderness in joints.
- Supplement your diet with 2 g of fish oil capsules twice a day to reduce the chances of gouty inflammation.
This comes from Old French goute, from medieval Latin gutta whose literal meaning is ‘a drop’, a sense still found in phrases such as gouts of blood. The disease gout got its name because it was believed to be caused by the dropping of diseased matter from the blood into the joints. See also gutter
Words that rhyme with goutabout, bout, clout, devout, doubt, down-and-out, drought, flout, grout, knout, lout, mahout, misdoubt, nowt, out, out-and-out, owt, pout, Prout, right about, rout, scout, shout, snout, spout, sprout, stout, thereabout, thereout, throughout, timeout, tout, trout, way-out, without
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.