A doctor based in the community who treats patients with minor or chronic illnesses and refers those with serious conditions to a hospital: her GP prescribed an antibiotic my dad was a GP in Salford
More example sentences
- A quarter of these people were receiving treatment from their GP for stress, depression and anxiety.
- Before starting any diet consult your GP.
- Maxine found herself tired and lethargic and eventually consulted her GP, who informed her that she was deficient in several key minerals.
Late 19th century: shortening of general practitioner.
Short for Grand Prix.
- Lewis Hamilton has just won three GPs in a row.
- The Monaco GP was a bit of a procession, with very few overtaking manoeuvres.
- The Japanese GP was won by his factory Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa, keeping alive Pedrosa's hopes to lift his first premier-class title.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.