1An inclined part of a road or railway; a slope: fail-safe brakes for use on steep gradients
More example sentences
- By following the ridge of the city's hills, it provides tolerable gradients and avoids steep inclines, which proliferate in the city's side streets.
- Road sections which included steep gradients, major drainage structures and thick chip seal surface layers were normally excluded.
- For traffic driving east, the road descends down a gradient of 0.023 through a wooded area with trees overhanging the road on both sides.
1.1The degree of a slope: the path becomes very rough as the gradient increases
More example sentences
- The lower 150m section has a gentle gradient of 12 degrees providing an ample and safe area to test out those first turns.
- Therefore if Cross-rail precedes electrification, then diesel units would be used for cross-city services which would easily negotiate the gradients and angles.
- It had a gradient of about 45 degrees and was strewn with loose rocks and boulders.
1.2 Mathematics The degree of steepness of a graph at any point.
- The abrupt changes in gradient visible in the graph are caused when the number of relevant genetic backgrounds i max changes from one integer value to the next.
- Differentiation is a method of working out the gradient of a curve - how quickly one variable changes with respect to another.
- In a moment we will demonstrate what the gradient of the curve at a point is, by examining a limiting argument.
2 Physics An increase or decrease in the magnitude of a property (e.g. temperature, pressure, or concentration) observed in passing from one point or moment to another.
- Distinct gradients in pressure were observed throughout the contact area.
- We observed a gradient in the depth of the selective sweep, which becomes progressively deeper as you get nearer to the gene.
- I assure you, however, I have accurately mapped the topological surface density and transitional energy gradients of the timeline in question.
Mid 19th century: from grade, on the pattern of salient.
Words that rhyme with gradientirradiant, radiant
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gra¦di|ent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.