- A state or territory ruled by a grand duke or duchess.More example sentences
- June 9, 1815, after 400 years of domination by various European nations, Luxembourg was made a grand duchy by the Congress of Vienna.
- Led by William's daughter, the Grand Duchess, the grand duchy cooperated with the Germans in their unlawful violation of Luxembourg's neutrality during World War I.
- Belgium became part of a new kingdom of the Netherlands and then, after 1831, a separate realm in her own right; Luxembourg became an independent grand duchy.
More definitions of grand duchyDefinition of grand duchy in:
- The US English dictionary