- 1 (usually Grand Slam) ( • trademark in the UK) A set of major championships or matches in a particular sport in the same year, in particular tennis, golf, or rugby union: the tennis Grand Slam consists of the four most difficult major tournaments on the international circuitMore example sentences
- That gives her a great chance of at least matching her best Grand Slam performance to date, a semi-final appearance at Wimbledon in 1997.
- Naturally when you start winning matches in a Grand Slam, it is bound to have a snowballing effect in terms of gaining confidence.
- She's 46-0 in first-round matches at Grand Slam tournaments.
- 1.1Any of the individual championships that comprise a Grand Slam: the season’s final Grand Slam at Flushing MeadowsMore example sentences
- Tiger Woods did not win a major in 2003, and golf was energised, for the first time since 1969 all four grand slams were won by different men.
- My goal at the start of the season was to try and play in as many of the grand slams as I could, and I'm really excited about Wimbledon.
- Federer, the top-ranked player in the world, won three of the four grand slams on offer in 2004 but the French Open was not one of them.
- 1.2The winning of all the individual championships that comprise a Grand Slam: the Springboks' dreams of a first Grand Slam since 1961 were ended by defeats against Ireland and EnglandMore example sentences
- At the end of last year England blew their latest grand slam in the long-delayed match against Ireland.
- It would be great to be European champions in a World Cup year but a grand slam is a grand slam.
- Maureen Connolly in 1953 and Margaret Court Smith in 1970 achieved grand slams among the women.
- 2 Bridge The bidding and winning of all thirteen tricks.More example sentences
- A contract to make all 13 tricks is called a grand slam.
- 3 Baseball A home run hit when each of the three bases is occupied by a runner, thus scoring four runs.More example sentences
- He belted four grand slams during the 1968 regular season.
- Through the 2004 season, there have been 182 inside-the-park grand slams hit in major league history by 163 different players.
- Through the 2004 season, Jeter has never hit a grand slam in the major leagues, although he has connected for a total of 149 career home runs.
early 19th century (as a term in cards, especially bridge): from slam ( sense 4 of the noun).
More definitions of grand slamDefinition of grand slam in:
- The US English dictionary