- 1Splendour and impressiveness, especially of appearance or style: the majestic grandeur and simplicity of Roman architectureMore example sentences
- All the four bronzes are of impressive size and grandeur.
- He was impressed by its grandeur and the hospitality of the temple authorities.
- The hall of the house is impressive with two marble pillars giving an instant impression of grandeur.
- 1.1High rank or social importance: his facade of grandeurMore example sentences
- The West Indian islands became the hub of the British Empire, of immense importance to the grandeur and prosperity of England.
- It has all the pomp and grandeur of a Roman general marching into war with his troops.
- And he really enjoyed the glory and grandeur, you know, of being treated like a head of state.
late 16th century (denoting tall stature): from French, from grand 'great, grand' (see grand).