Definition of grandiloquent in English:
Pompous or extravagant in language, style, or manner, especially in a way that is intended to impress: a grandiloquent celebration of Spanish glory
More example sentences
- They feel so let down by a government that promised the earth - wonderful phrases, and grandiloquent language.
- He duplicates the editors' preface in a rather grandiloquent manner.
- Johnson's expression is manly, vigorous, grandiloquent and bombastic.
pompous, bombastic, magniloquent, pretentious, ostentatious, high-flown, high-sounding, rhetorical, orotund, fustian, florid, flowery;
- Example sentences
- Now that I've said that, allow me to apologize for the grandiloquence and pomposity of that preceding paragraph.
- Nevertheless, he has his moments of loopy grandiloquence.
- There is no playing to the gallery, no verbal gymnastics, certainly no grandiloquence.
Words that rhyme with grandiloquentmagniloquent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.