Definition of grange in English:
noun[usually in names]
1British A country house with farm buildings attached: Biddulph Grange
More example sentences
- Olivia mourns like Mariana in the moated grange - richly, and with repeated Victorian rituals.
- They may have staged her stay at the grange with the intention of providing him the opportunity to carry out his sinister plan.
- At the heart of the grange were farm buildings, paddocks, gardens, granaries, industrial areas and workshops, and a chapel.
1.1 historical An outlying farm with tithe barns belonging to a monastery or feudal lord.
- This house is said to stand on the site of a grange (monastic farm) that once belonged to the monks of Furness Abbey.
- His writings state the abbey founded a large farmstead, or grange, and a water mill 20 miles away.
- The chronicles state that the abbey established a large farmstead - known as a grange - 20 miles away near Wharram Percy, and that a water mill was soon added.
1.2 archaic A barn.
- Few manufactured articles were bought. Salt, tar, iron, mill-stones, steel for tipping the edges of implements, canvas for the sails of the wind-mill, cloths for use in the dairy, in the malthouse, or in the grange, together with the dresses of the inhabitants of the hall, and a few vessels of brass, copper, or earthenware, satisfied the simple needs of the rural population.
- All the crops on the demesne were to be cut, stacked, carried to the manor-house and stored in the grange.
- People and cattle then remain at the montagnette until the hay in the grange is exhausted.
Words that rhyme with grangearrange, change, counterchange, estrange, exchange, interchange, Lagrange, mange, part-exchange, range, short-change, strange
Definition of grange in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan