(Of an animal) feeding on grain.
More example sentences
- Seeds landing on or near the mounds of granivorous ants are expected to be consumed because foraging activity is presumably highest near active nests.
- Herbivorous, granivorous and insectivorous birds have a highly specialized, muscular gizzard with an inner lining of hard cuticle.
- Central American forests go through cycles of years of fruit abundance followed by years of fruit scarcity, with associated fluctuations in densities and rates of mortality of frugivorous and granivorous mammals.
mid 17th century: from Latin granum 'grain' + -vorous.
- More example sentences
- Consequently, nectivores, granivores, and frugivores may be less likely to experience food shortage in small fragments.
- Similarly, seed predation may affect plant assemblages as granivores selectively harvest and consume seeds, thus modifying species abundance and composition.
- Thus, our study illustrates the need of considering differences between pre- and postdispersal seed predation in the study of granivore rodents and their impact on plant populations.
Definition of granivorous in:
- The US English dictionary