Definition of granophyre in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A granitic rock consisting of intergrown feldspar and quartz crystals in a medium- to fine-grained groundmass.
- Here, the 24-foot-thick bed strikes E-W, dips 25 [degrees] N., and is composed of subangular-to-rounded clasts composed of granophyre, rhyolite, and basalt.
- The Main Channel conglomerate is made up of a variety of well-rounded felsite, granophyre, and quartz-feldspar porphyry pebbles, suggesting a geologically diverse source terrane.
- Although the features described above are present everywhere in the partially melted gneiss, grain boundary films of fine granophyre also occur in about a third of the partially melted samples from Priomh-lochs.
- Example sentences
- Sample CHA 3005 was taken from one of these rhyolite domes; it has miarolitic cavities and a conspicuous graphic and granophyric fabric.
- The first sign of melting in thin-section is the development of fine granophyric rims on grain boundaries between quartz and feldspar, interpreted to be solidified quartzo-feldspathic melt.
- The rounded conglomerate pebbles consist of siltstone, mudstone, wacke, granophyric igneous rocks, and various intermediate to felsic volcanic rocks, set in a matrix rich in quartz and feldspar grains.
Definition of granophyre in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.