Definition of granophyre in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
A granitic rock consisting of intergrown feldspar and quartz crystals in a medium- to fine-grained groundmass.
- Here, the 24-foot-thick bed strikes E-W, dips 25 [degrees] N., and is composed of subangular-to-rounded clasts composed of granophyre, rhyolite, and basalt.
- The Main Channel conglomerate is made up of a variety of well-rounded felsite, granophyre, and quartz-feldspar porphyry pebbles, suggesting a geologically diverse source terrane.
- Although the features described above are present everywhere in the partially melted gneiss, grain boundary films of fine granophyre also occur in about a third of the partially melted samples from Priomh-lochs.
- Example sentences
- Sample CHA 3005 was taken from one of these rhyolite domes; it has miarolitic cavities and a conspicuous graphic and granophyric fabric.
- The first sign of melting in thin-section is the development of fine granophyric rims on grain boundaries between quartz and feldspar, interpreted to be solidified quartzo-feldspathic melt.
- The rounded conglomerate pebbles consist of siltstone, mudstone, wacke, granophyric igneous rocks, and various intermediate to felsic volcanic rocks, set in a matrix rich in quartz and feldspar grains.
Definition of granophyre in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan