Definition of granular in English:
1Resembling or consisting of small grains or particles.
- Snowflakes comprise the familiar loose aggregates of ice crystals which often adopt a hexagonal and branched form; there are also snow and ice pellets, snow grains, granular snow, and ice prisms.
- Because of the fragmentation of nuclei and the disruption of cellular membranes, coarse granular particles are formed.
- Crystals to 3 cm are reported, although most cubanite occurs in isolated grains, granular masses, or thin lamellae in chalcopyrite.
1.1Having a roughened surface or structure.
- Intraoral squamous cell carcinoma may present with a similar tongue lesion, though it typically has a rough, granular surface.
- White's hands were pressed against some loose, granular surface.
- In mucosal edema the surface has a granular appearance or appears to be ‘dry’ so that it does not glisten.
2 technical Characterized by a high level of granularity: a granular database
More example sentences
- Even structured information in databases is subject to this process, as database software is now building in flexibility at the most granular level to move information from different servers or storage pools.
- At a granular level, the movement-in-formation is moving in different directions.
- Librarians' knowledge of metadata facilitates at a granular level control of, and access to, information.
Words that rhyme with granularannular
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan