Definition of graphite in English:
A grey crystalline allotropic form of carbon which occurs as a mineral in some rocks and can be made from coke. It is used as a solid lubricant, in pencils, and as a moderator in nuclear reactors.
- For instance, carbon may exist as either graphite or diamond in its solid phase.
- Carbon, in the forms of charcoal, graphite, and diamond, was one of the earliest elements known to man.
- One possibility of this sort of manipulation could turn carbon into either graphite or diamond.
- Example sentences
- Related work to purify semiconducting nanotubes and remove graphitic contamination is also being carried out.
- Helical microtubules of graphitic carbon have also been found.
- The conventionally measured hardness of graphitic irons is influenced by the graphite, especially in gray iron.
Words that rhyme with graphiteprizefight • dogfight
Definition of graphite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.