Definition of grapnel in English:
1A grappling hook.
- This entails digging down around the mine so that a grapnel can be attached and the mine pulled out of the ground my men under cover.
- Instantly dazzled, I scurry along to the top of a bed at the very end, by the corner, where a petrol lamp jingles unnoticed from a ceiling grapnel.
- Several grapnels were hurled onto the deck from the patrol boat, latching onto to side rails and other parts of the hull.
2A small anchor with several flukes.
- To ensure that the shotline remains in one place, a folding grapnel anchor of the type commonly used by small boats in areas where a sand anchor will not hold is ideal.
- In fact, as Tendron threw grapnels across and boarded the ship, he was welcomed by a committee which included Redwing and Princess Jenaryn.
- This proved invaluable for accurately plotting the outline of the wreck and positioning our grapnel line exactly where we wanted it.
Words that rhyme with grapnelshrapnel
Definition of grapnel in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.