- A small Caribbean and tropical American songbird related to the buntings, the male being partly or mainly black.
More example sentences
- Family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): three genera, in particular Tiaris, and several species
- Recent studies of blue-black grassquits and blue grosbeaks suggest that structural plumage coloration is dependent on nutritional condition and thus could reliably signal mate quality.
- They include the bananaquit, the blue-black grassquit, the blackfaced grassquit, and the St. Lucia black finch.
- In our study, however, perches used by the grassquits emerged above the surrounding grassland vegetation, and displaying males were visible when resting, but became more conspicuous to us when they executed their displays.
More definitions of grassquitDefinition of grassquit in:
- The US English dictionary