- An instrument for measuring the difference in the force of gravity from one place to another.More example sentences
- Using a gravimeter, an instrument that measures the motion of the Earth's surface, Weber hoped to ‘tune into’ the Earth's natural frequencies and see if it had been excited by a passing gravity wave.
- Weiss worked with Dicke on building gravimeters to measure the Earth's unique resonances, its ‘ringing’ when excited.
- Brown was taking the volcano's pulse with a highly sensitive device called a gravimeter.
late 18th century: from French gravimètre, from grave 'heavy' (from Latin gravis) + -mètre '(instrument) measuring'.
More definitions of gravimeterDefinition of gravimeter in:
- The US English dictionary