- 1 Physics The force that attracts a body towards the centre of the earth, or towards any other physical body having mass.More example sentences
- Certainly, every type of matter we have ever encountered feels the attractive force of gravity.
- Physics has found only four forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear, and strong nuclear.
- Objects exert a force of gravity because they have mass and the more mass they have the stronger the force of gravity they exert.
- 1.1The degree of intensity of gravity, measured by acceleration.More example sentences
- Specific gravity was measured by a harmonic oscillation method on the automated workstation.
- The speed of gravity has been measured for the first time, revealing that it does indeed travel at the speed of light.
- Although these hidden dimensions remain too small to be measured, gravity can travel in between them.
- 2Extreme importance; seriousness: crimes of the utmost gravityMore example sentences
seriousness, importance, profundity, significance, momentousness, moment, weightiness, weight, consequence, magnitude; criticalness, acuteness, cruciality; urgency, exigence; direness, terribleness, awfulness, dreadfulness; precariousness, perilousness, peril, hazard, danger, threat, menace, riskBritish • informal dodginess• formal egregiousness
- Naturally this only occurs in situations of extreme gravity or urgency threatening irreparable damage to persons.
- They realized the full gravity of the situation when they scanned, what moments before, had been a room full of Sailors eating lunch.
- This is a moment of utmost gravity for the world.
- 3Solemnity of manner: has the poet ever spoken with greater eloquence or gravity?More example sentences
- An air of gravity and solemnity pervaded the president's remarks as a stunned nation listened by radio.
- He exuded dignity and gravity and he was courteous to counsel and witnesses alike.
- He played this part with gravity and dignity, and in an understated style which set off the flamboyant persona of Henry VIII.