Definition of grayling in English:
1An edible freshwater fish which is silvery-grey with horizontal violet stripes and has a long high dorsal fin, of both Eurasia and North America.
- Genus Thymallus, family Salmonidae: several species
- By carrying out the project we hope to attract fish, such as chub, dace, grayling and trout as well as other wildlife back to this particular stretch of river.
- Most species of river fish will be surveyed including trout, grayling, dace, barbel, chub and pike.
- Like all salmonids the grayling has a small adipose fin behind the dorsal fin.
2A mainly brown European butterfly which has wings with bright eyespots and greyish undersides.
- Hipparchia semele, subfamily Satyrinae, family Nymphalidae
- The grayling is a common heathland butterfly.
- Has anyone come across the magnificent Banded Grayling Butterfly in this area in recent years?
- This Grayling Butterfly is sunning itself on the bark of a large Pine tree, if I had not seen it pitch it probably would have gone undetected.
Words that rhyme with graylingfailing, mailing, paling, railing, sailing, tailing, unavailing, veiling, wailing
Definition of grayling in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan