adjective (greasier, greasiest)
- 1Covered with, resembling, or produced by grease or oil: he wiped his greasy fingers a greasy markMore example sentences
- Turning the mat over we are presented with more of a glossy finish, which is quite susceptible to finger prints and greasy marks.
- It is weathered from multiple readings, with pages smudged from my greasy fingers.
- I glanced down at my greasy clothing covered in paint.
- 1.1Producing excessive body oil: greasy skinMore example sentences
- First of all, Dan did not have bad skin and greasy hair.
- My hair was crackly and greasy, my skin dry, and face sunken.
- They were short, about half the height of an average human, and walked hunched over with scaly skin and strands of greasy wispy hair.
- 1.2Containing or cooked with too much oil or fat: greasy foodMore example sentences
- Later, we spent a lot of time lazing around in an island in the middle of a huge lake, ate some horribly cooked and greasy Chinese food and made our way back to the quaint town.
- Next up was the crab omelette, beautifully cooked, not greasy or oily in any way, and plenty of crab inside.
- Our modern tastes for fatty, greasy, salty foods are learned.
- 1.3Slippery: the rain’s making the roads greasyMore example sentences
- The constant rain, the greasy pitch and the slippery ball all conspired to turn this contest into something of a lottery.
- The rocks were greasy and slippery and the narrow chimneys and gullies, so delightful in dry summer conditions, were muddy and wet.
- Nor did it help that it was very slippery and greasy, but we will have to get used to that.
- 2(Of a person or their manner) unpleasantly or insincerely polite or ingratiating: the greasy little man from the newspaperMore example sentences
ingratiating, fawning, grovelling, sycophantic, toadying, obsequious, cringing, flattering, effusive, gushing, gushy, abject, truckling, self-effacing, Uriah Heepish; unctuous, oily, smooth-tongued, smooth, glib, suave, slick, reptilian
- His greasy ingratiation irked the Watchkeeper and he clenched his hands to hide the claws that slipped from his fingertips.
- All that was around her was Michael Milano, his oily, slimy, greasy demeanor was overpowering her.
- Who else would stand by that greasy man?
- More example sentences
- The window panes, all 52,000 of them, are revolting, so greasily blotched.
- The pleasure is all mine,’ Applewhite replied, greasily.
- Hank giggled greasily and licked his cracked lips.
- More example sentences
- The lentil and butter sauce - an odd accompaniment to duck, anyway - was bland, and accentuated, rather than cut, the greasiness of the dish.
- I had thought the inclusion of black pudding, while undeniably dramatic looking, was dubious, but the cold greasiness feared did not materialise.
- My vegetarian wife does not appreciate the wonderful greasiness, but I'm a fan.