- A large ape of a family closely related to humans, including the gorilla, orang-utan, and chimpanzees, but excluding the gibbons; an anthropoid ape.
More example sentences
- Family Pongidae, order Primates
- Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).
- The study looked in detail at each of the four great ape species - chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, and orangutan - to assess the current, remaining, habitat deemed relatively undisturbed and thus able to support viable populations of apes.
- They are one of four kinds of great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos, and the only apes that come from Asia.
More definitions of great apeDefinition of great ape in:
- The US English dictionary