A large ape of a family closely related to humans, including the gorilla, orang-utan, and chimpanzees, but excluding the gibbons; an anthropoid ape.
- Family Pongidae, order Primates
More example sentences
- Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).
- The study looked in detail at each of the four great ape species - chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, and orangutan - to assess the current, remaining, habitat deemed relatively undisturbed and thus able to support viable populations of apes.
- They are one of four kinds of great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and bonobos, and the only apes that come from Asia.
Definition of great ape in:
- The US English dictionary