- A circle on the surface of a sphere which lies in a plane passing through the sphere’s centre. As it represents the shortest distance between any two points on a sphere, a great circle of the earth is the preferred route taken by a ship or aircraft.More example sentences
- A spherical triangle is the space included by arcs of great circles on the surface of a sphere… these arcs are always less than a semicircle.
- It consisted of a system of rings corresponding to the great circles of the celestial sphere with a central tube which was used to line up stars and planets.
- The great circle distances between the latitude and longitude coordinates of the population centroids for each pair of counties were used in the denominator.
More definitions of great circleDefinition of great circle in:
- The US English dictionary