A diving waterbird with a black streamlined head, breeding in northern North America, Greenland, and Iceland.
- Gavia immer, family Gaviidae. North American name: common loon
More example sentences
- Now common loons, one of five loon species, are helping scientists better understand the impact of environmental mercury contamination on waterbirds, fish, and other aquatic wildlife.
- I pointed out that the bird, which I identified as a common loon, was too far gone to be helped but that I'd be happy to take it for the museum's collection.
- The common loon is red-eyed, with distinctive black and white markings and a pointed dagger like beak that is perfect for its long, underwater fishing trips.
Definition of great northern diver in:
- The US English dictionary