A large North Atlantic skua with mainly brown plumage, feeding by robbing other seabirds. Also called bonxie.
- Catharacta skua, family Stercorariidae
More example sentences
- In the present study, we investigate sex differences in environmental sensitivity of great skuas Stercorarius skua, in natural broods and in experimental broods without sibling competition.
- From Sidhean Mor we followed a faint path south, back towards the lighthouse, passing a small loch below Sidhean Beag where bonxies, great skuas, were creating turmoil amongst the oystercatcher nests.
- Although the numerous seabirds that surround it in spring are great too watch, be aware of the great skuas, or ‘bonxies’.
Definition of great skua in:
- The US English dictionary