A diving waterbird with a long neck, lobed toes, and almost no tail, typically having bright breeding plumage used in display.
- Family Podicipedidae: several genera
More example sentences
- Smallest of the grebes, the little grebe, or dabchick, is considerably rounder and more dumpy than its congeners.
- The farm is also home to blue-winged teals, coots, grebes, and an occasional osprey or peregrine falcon.
- The Horned Grebe is a small grebe with a straight bill, thick neck, and squarish head.
mid 18th century: from French grèbe (term used in the Savoie region), of unknown origin.
Definition of grebe in:
- The US English dictionary