Definition of green man in English:
1(In the UK) a symbol of an illuminated green human figure at a pedestrian crossing, indicating that it is safe to cross the road.
- Some people press the ‘please wait’ button at a pedestrian crossing but then cross before the green man gives them permission.
- I've almost been run over by them god knows how many times, but if I only crossed the road when the green man flashes, I probably wouldn't have this problem.
- She always double-checks that the traffic has stopped, even if there is a green man.
2 historical A man dressed up in greenery to represent a wild man of the woods or seasonal fertility.
- Jack in the Bush is an alternative name for a green man, the leaf-clad figure who appears in sculptures and is associated in European folklore with spring festivals.
- This nineteenth century green man holds out the prophetic possibility of restoration with nature, and in doing so reinforces our own sense of exile from it.
- He is clearly a type of the green man, living on the margins, reminding us of our origins among the animals.
Definition of green man in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan