1(In the UK) a symbol of an illuminated green human figure at a pedestrian crossing, indicating that it is safe to cross the road.
- Some people press the ‘please wait’ button at a pedestrian crossing but then cross before the green man gives them permission.
- I've almost been run over by them god knows how many times, but if I only crossed the road when the green man flashes, I probably wouldn't have this problem.
- She always double-checks that the traffic has stopped, even if there is a green man.
2 historical A man dressed up in greenery to represent a wild man of the woods or seasonal fertility.
- Jack in the Bush is an alternative name for a green man, the leaf-clad figure who appears in sculptures and is associated in European folklore with spring festivals.
- This nineteenth century green man holds out the prophetic possibility of restoration with nature, and in doing so reinforces our own sense of exile from it.
- He is clearly a type of the green man, living on the margins, reminding us of our origins among the animals.
Definition of green man in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.